State House has rebutted earlier reports that President Yoweri Museveni is expected to address the nation today, August 25, 2020
The Head of State was reportedly expected to guide the nation on the surging coronavirus cases in the country’s capital and Ms. Judith Nabakooba, the Minister for Information and National Guidance last week announced that President would address the nation on matters related to COVID19.
However, President Museveni’s Press Secretary Mr. Don Wanyama told The New Time that the said address was not on the President’s program tonight.
“We don’t have it on the schedule yet,’ Mr. Wanyama said.
Meanwhile, a source close to State House said the President was bitter with the way Ugandans especially in the capital have handled themselves and that he could slap them with a long term lockdown.
Gen. Edward Katumba the Minister of Transport and Works early this week revealed that the government was considering halting public transport and reinstating afresh lockdown on the country owing to a recent surge in COVID-19 cases.
Both the information minister and the Ministry of Health have since urged the public to take extra precautions by wearing face masks in public places all the time and sanitizing.
In light of the spike in new cases in the Kampala Metropolitan Area, this is evident that the rate of community transmission is high. The public is strongly advised to take personal responsibility to avoid contracting COVID-19. The earlier we change our attitude and behavior towards COVID-19, the better for our health and nation,” the statement reads in part.
“The Ministry appeals to the population including users of public transport to wear a face mask at all times, and wear it properly- ensure that the nose, mouth, and chin are fully covered, practice good hand hygiene, and maintain a social distance whenever in public. COVID-19 is dangerous, spreads fast and it kills both the young and the elderly alike, as statistics both locally and globally have shown,” it adds.